Job Description –Substitute Teacher
This full-time position reports to the Principal and Assistant Principle.
The Substitute Teacher will meet all qualifications and behavior standards as set by the Laredo Catholic School Office for staff and as stated in the Salesian Educator Profile. It is primarily the witness and the behavior of teacher- aides that give the distinctive character to Catholic schools. While a substitute teacher must be knowledgeable and qualified in subject matter, psychology, and pedagogy, they must also demonstrate a practical knowledge of these sciences in the classroom. It is the chief desire of the Church that teacher-aides consider their lived-faith and their Christian life-style just as important as their professional credentials.
In accordance with certification requirements and the performance expectations of the Catholic School Office, the Substitute Teacher of Mary Help of Christians School, shall meet the following employment criteria:
* be diligent in learning the Salesian Educational Philosophy and dedicated in its implementation and application
maintain a high level of confidentiality
* cultivate attitudes and skills in one’s self and students for life-long learning
* develop students cognitive capacity and love for learning
* foster students' self-worth, love for God and love for one another, forming good Christians and honest citizens
Summary of Essential Functions
* Follow regular teacher’s lesson plans in a way that ensures consistency and optimal learning, and that encourages students to participate.
* Assign classwork and homework as necessary, according to lesson plans
* Maintain a well-managed classroom and positive learning environment
* Supervise students out of class such as in the hallways and in the cafeteria
* Create lesson plans, grade classwork, homework and tests and attend parent-teacher conference (only for long-term sub assignments.)
* Proof of high school diploma/GED
* Official Transcripts (if applicable)
* Resume (required)
* Service Records (if you have previous school experience)
* Three (3) references forms from current or previous supervisors
* Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
* Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
* Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
* Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form
* Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
* Driver’s License
* Social Security
* Tuberculosis Exam
* Background Clearance
Working Conditions: Encounter on a regular basis as part of the work this job performs.
NOTE: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.